The bicycle transportation service is aligned with Regulation 1371/2007 of the European Union, according to which railway companies shall enable bicycle transportation, provided that bicycles are easy to handle, the transportation complies with the requirements of the specific service and the bicycles are transported in trains with relevant capacity.
The bicycle transportation in the trains of Hellenic Train remains follows:
Α. In the long distance trains of Hellenic Train, bicycles are transported as registered luggage, in the luggage van, provided that there is enough capacity, applicable to registered luggage:
- Athens-Thessaloniki route (trains IC52, IC54, IC56, IC58, IC62, IC53, IC55, IC57, IC59, IC63)
- Athens -Kalambaka – Athens route (trains 882/887)
A fare of 5€ per bicycle is charged. Up to 5 bicycles are accepted as registered luggage on each train.
Β. Up to 3 bicycles are accepted as hand luggage, on the trains of the following routes, without any charge, provided that there is enough capacity inside the coaches and the bicycles can be transported without impeding other passengers:
- Piraeus –International Airport «Elefterios Venizelos» – Kiato – Aigio
- Athens-Leianokladi: train 1520 (available on Fridays and Sundays) and 1521 (available on Saturdays and Mondays)
- Lianokladi – Stylida
- Larisa- Volos
- Larisa-Thessaloniki-Larisa on trains 1590, 1593, 2592, 2596, 1599, 2597, 2599 (From May to September it is not possible to transport bicycles on trains 2592 and 1599 due to increased passenger traffic).
- Thessaloniki-Platy-Florina (up to 2 bicycles are accepted due to increased number of passengers)
- Alexandroupolis-Ormenio Line (with the exception exceptional cases of routing, due to needs, rolling stock on which bicycles can not be placed)
- Katakolo - Pyrgos - Olympia line
- Suburban line of Patras
The passenger-owner of the bicycle is solely responsible for the bicycle’s transportation and its placement in the coach, as well as the security of the bicycle during the journey and the avoidance of damage to the rolling stock.
The placement of bicycles between the seats is not allowed.
C. Buses of Hellenic Train
The transportation of one (1) foldable bicycle is possible in each route, without any charge. The passenger-owner of the bicycle is responsible for the whole procedure of the bicycle transportation.
The bicycle should be placed in a suitable storage case and the bicycle dimensions should be up to 100 x 60 x 25 cm.
During the journey the bicycle is placed in the luggage space of the bus.
On the following touristic trains bicycles are not accepted:
Ano Lekhonia-Milee route (train of Pelion)
Diakofto-Kalavryta route (Rack railway)